This memorial to Annie Springthorpe is a Greek-temple-like tomb located at the Kew Cemetery. It was erected in 1901 by Dr John Springthorpe for his wife Annie, who died in childbirth four years earlier. The sarcophagus is surrounded by black marble columns supporting a rose-red stained glass domed ceiling. It took four years to construct and was described by the Bulletin as "Melbourne's Taj Mahal". Almost every surface of the floor is inscribed with poetry and verse. Nowhere is Annie's name. For other images of Springthorpe Memorial click here.
Contributed to Taphophile Tragics.