The memorial above is located at the eastern base of Ormond Point,Elwood. It marks a rather tragic event.
In December 1829 a barque called the Glen Huntley departed from Argyllshire in Scotland with 157 government emigrants bound for Australia. She arrived at Willam’s Town on 17 April 1840 with not only the passengers but fever (typhus) aboard. The ship was ordered to sail across the bay to Red Bluff (now Ormond Point). A quarantine station of tents was established. Of the 157 passengers aboard ten had died at sea.
Three unfortunate passengers succumbed whilst in the quarantine station and were buried on Red Bluff in graves enclosed by a picket fence. The sea gradually washed the earth away. At 7 am, on 27 August 1898 with officials, onlookers & family of passengers of the Glen Huntley present the graves were re-opened and the remains reinterred in St. Kilda Cemetery.
The plaque above was erected in 1985. It lies in all but surrounded in bushes in an imaginary line between Glen Huntly Road, Point Ormond and the sea.